LinkedInTwitterRSS

Weird Slipstream Observation with SQL Server 2008 R2, SP1, and a CU

By on Feb 6, 2012 in slipstream, SQL Server 2008 R2 | 3 comments

Hello all. I was putting together some demos for the private class I am delivering this week and I decided to slipstream SQL Server 2008 R2 with SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 and SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 CU3. This is fully supported and the process is straightforward. My installation worked fine, and my clustered instance got installed seemingly with no issues. However, I observed the following:

  • In the detailed log file (detail.txt), it references version 10.50.2789 – which is what I expect.
  • SQL Server thinks it’s at version 10.50.2789 - again, all good.
  • Summary.txt does not match – it has version 10.51.2789

See the pic below:

Completed SQL Server 2008 R2 + SP1 + SP1 CU3 install

Completed SQL Server 2008 R2 + SP1 + SP1 CU3 install

Has anyone else seen this? I’m not really woried since the engine is reporting the right number and detail.txt is fine. It just doesn’t make sense that one place would have a slightly different version number.

Also, PCUSOURCE and CUSOURCE didn’t show up on the Ready to Install dialog like I’ve seen. Again, no big deal but just found it interesting.

    3 Comments

  1. Yeap, I caught it using the discovery tool from M$, when I tried to gather some info about SQL Server instances on my network.

    calin

    February 6, 2012

  2. the 10.51.xxx just means that the install or upgrade is still in progress. For example, you’ll see the same thing in the upgrade status if you run an upgrade on mutiple nodes of a cluster. While in progress, a node goes to 10.51.x, once completed it finally finishes at 10.50.x. My bet is MS is using the .51 to indicate “in progress”.

    Warren Campbell

    July 31, 2013

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>